WOW Teen Summit
Grrls, Pearls, Unfurl: Identity and Self Love in the Millennial Age
Location: Apollo, Mainstage Theater
Saturday, May 6
Time: 11am – 12:30pm
Unfurl those pearls, grrl! Teen Summit gets real about how girls are reshaping the status quo each and every day and challenges us to truly love ourselves and use our power to rise. With live performances, roving reporters, major special guests, an Insta wall, and more. Teen Summit is your opportunity to connect, celebrate … and maybe even “ugly” cry.
THIS EVENT IS FREE
>> GET TICKETS
Gabourey Sidibe will share her unconventional journey from Harlem to Hollywood with highlights from her irreverent and hilarious new memoir, This Is Just My Face: Try Not to Stare. Ms. Sidibe is an American actress who made her acting debut in the 2009 film Precious, a role that brought her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress. Presented in partnership with Pen World Voices.
Part I: MAKEOVER: Exploring Modern Beauty Standards And Their Impact On Self-Esteem And Identity
- Amani Al-Khatahtbeh is an American author and tech entrepreneur. She is the founder and editor of MuslimGirl, an online magazine for Muslim women.
- Khoudia Diop is a 19 year old, Senegalese model from The “Colored” Girl: Rebirth campaign who overcame cyber-bullying to become the new face of diversity in beauty and a social media celebrity.
- Miss Fame is the stage name of Kurtis Dam-Mikkelsen, an American drag queen, makeup artist, model, recording artist and reality television personality who competed on season 7 of RuPaul’s Drag Race.
- Malyia McNaughton – Moderator – model, stylist and jewelry designer behind the brand, Made by Malyia
Part II: MAKEOVER: Celebrating Teen Activists and Their Impact On The World
- Victoria Pannell is a local teen activist and the youngest member of Community Board 10. Since the age of 12, she has lobbied against child-sex trafficking.
- Hebh Jamal is an anti-islamophobia activist and the organizer of the mass NYC student walk-out in February 2017. Hebh is also a well-known advocate in education reform and co-created the first ever City-Wide Youth Council on School Integration run by IntegrateNYC4Me.
- Federico Michelin is a young activist who, as a freshman in high school, created an LGBTQA+ and inter-sectional feminist community support page on social media, @prideofthehumans. His YouTube channel, Rico Pride, engages viewers in conversation regarding issues faced by marginalized communities.
- Latchmi Gopal – Moderator
- Rabih Ahmed
- Khaya Cohen
- Leah Jenae Gaines
- Samira Gibson
- Asia Hickman
- Milly Shresta
WOW Teen Summit DJ – Taela Naomi
WOW Teen Summit Hosts:
- Devon Arnold
- Beverly Danquah
>> GET TICKETS